I love that an entire month is dedicated to Nutrition! But, wait a minute, what exactly is proper nutrition? As a Health Coach my answer is that it differs from person to person. But what is THE SAME across the board is easy to remember: Health = Nutrients / Calories.
Here are some easy tips for you to follow this month to keep it healthy:
- Watch your Glycemic Index. Eat foods that are low in sugar, flour, and refined carbohydrates in order to keep your blood sugar levels stable. Avoiding spikes in your blood sugar levels, results in positive moods, weight loss or weight management, drop in cravings, the list goes on …
- Increase your consumption of fresh fruits & vegetables. This is easy in March, especially in California. Spring brings a lot of great veggies & fruits to the table. Check out your local farmer’s market for what’s in season. Opt in for lots of Colorful produce!
- Watch out for highly processed foods. I’m talking about 5 ingredients or more. By doing so you avoid chemicals, additives, preservatives, dyes, MSG, articifical sweeteners and other “Franken Chemicals” … yes, they are scary!!
- Start swapping out those bad fats with good fats. I’m talking about highly processed, vegetable oils that can wreak havoc on your health. Instead of cooking with Canola Oil start using Coconut Oil or Sesame Seed Oil, both oils can tolerate high heat. For salad dressings, make your own with EVOO + Apple Cider Vinegar, Salt & Pepper.
Here’s the last tip, a goal for you this month …
- Cut out Dairy! Just for one month (4 weeks) I challenge you to remove all dairy from your diet. Some of my favorite Dairy swaps are:
- Coconut Milk (full fat, Native Forest Brand has BPA Free lining) in Smoothies, Chia Puddings, or for Curry dishes
- SoDelicious Vanilla Unsweetened Coconut Milk in Smoothies & for Hot Cocoa
- Fresh Nut Milk (so easy to make your self!)
- Kite Hill Nut Cheeses
- Coconut Yogurt (read the ingredients before purchasing, yogurts can have very high sugar content)
Let me know of these steps work for you this month of March! Your health is truly in your hands and is dictated by the decisions we make every day.
To your health!
Lisa, Your Health Coach